4.23.2017

my favorite kind of scents

I distinctly remember back when I was in the third grade I was so intrigued with this delicious scent that my best friend at the time used to smell like a lot, but I never ask her what it was until one day I went to her bedroom and saw a brown tinted plastic bottle that smells exactly like how she did. It was The Body Shop's Vanilla body mist which sadly has been discontinued in its original form. Ever since that experience of finding out what that scent was, I always ask my mom to get me a bottle of this Vanilla goodness whenever we walked past the store so I never ran out of it. Eventually, that body mist has been replaced with a newer and improved more modern looking sister which I feel like just not the same. As I grew older, at one point in my life I stopped wearing this body mist or any scents at all. I even hated when my mom just sprayed perfume on herself because I always feel like it's always too much and gave me a headache. Although I didn't understand about scents, when I was younger if I was travelling away without my mom and had to spend the night, I always carry a scarf that smells literally just like her to cover my pillow with and that makes me feel less anxious. 

Years went by with me not caring about how I smell, but luckily no matter how much I sweat, I didn't really ooze out stinky teenager odor from my body even when I hit puberty, which I am kinda thankful of because my hormones only fucked with my skin, and decided to leave my body odor alone. Then, when I graduated high school and about to enter university, my mom gifted me Marc Jacobs Daisy eau So Fresh which smells like roses and warm plums, and suddenly I fell in love with perfumes!! My mom has always been a perfume lady, she used many different kinds of bougee designer brands from YSL to Giorgio Armani to Dior etc she's a huge perfume gal and always splurge on her favorite scent ever since she earned her first paycheck way back when, which I thought was cool because it's her thing. Even though she wore so many different perfumes before, the scent that always remind me of her are either Clinique Happy or Flower by Kenzo, which now becomes my favorite scent as well.

Now scent has become a pretty big part in my daily routine. I already talked about my love to Kiehl's Original Musk perfume in this empties post, but I'm gonna talk about it again because I'm obsessed and can't get over the fact that it's very fairly priced for what I feel like such an expensive scent. Kiehl's musk edt spray is creamy and warm with hints of some light floral and it makes me feel very put together every time I sprayed it onto myself in the morning. Another scent that I'm really liking is the scent of Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse® dry oil. This one is not a perfume per se but rather a super luxurious body oil that smells divine. It is my second bottle already and I always love spraying it onto my still dampened skin after shower because it makes my whole existence smells like an elegant young French lady. I didn't know how Fresh Sugar Lychee smells like but I knew tonka beans is one of my fave notes and I thought lychee would be a really interesting combo and gladly, I wasn't disappointed when I sniffed it for the first time after my online order came. Again, very warm and sweet but a very comforting type of sweetness that always calmed me whenever I smell it. I will buy the bigger version soon because I just can't get enough of it. 

Another 'casual' type of scent that I love is peach scent. I'm not a big fan of the flavor though, but I love the scent of peaches--even artificial ones. So I got this candle from Monki when I was just randomly browsing the site, and initially wanted it because the design on the jar looks cool but they didn't tell you that the candle is scented. I figure I'd just burn down the wax and use the jar for storing my stuffs. Little did I know it smells like ripen\ peach and whenever I burn it my whole room smells scrumptious, but not in a fake-peach kind of way even though I dig that, but more of a natural peach scent and I adore it. Now If you know me for a bit, you'll know that I really love lavender scents in my body products and essential oil, but I never find a decent perfume with lavender notes. I guess because it's so rich and herb-y, I like it alone without other scents trying to overpower it. I'm still on the look out of new perfume to try, but I wanna take my time and build my scent empire slowly with only things that I truly love. I feel like perfume is super personal, so it will take some time for you to find the right one. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive artisanal type, as long as it speaks to you then it's all you.

At the end of the day, once you found your true scent I think it's worth all the time searching because nothing makes me happier than hearing someone say "I love the way you smell!"

No comments:

Post a Comment