1.07.2015

10 favorite reads of 2014

This is probably a very very late post which should be up before the year changes, but I thought I'd still do it nonetheless since I feel like sharing some good books I've been really enjoying in 2014. I realized I probably read less than 20 books last years because I was always too tired to read after classes (I hate tired excuses), but I think 10 is a fair amount to share out of all the books I read.

(not in any particular order)


1. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (Patrick Süskind): at first I didn't have much expectation about this book, but as I read through chapter by chapter, I realized that I got absorbed by it without realizing it. This book is pretty much one of my favorite classics. I want to check more of Süskind's works!
2. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Haruki Murakami): this was one of the most exciting book to read, for me. This book contains less humor than most of his previous works, but the characters are extraordinarily captivating, especially the main character's friends. I love them all! This book totally grows on me. I might reread it again sometime this year.
3. Kitchen (Banana Yoshimoto): I read this book in a library the other day around Summertime last year, and I spent 3 hours there to finish this book in one sitting! The main character has a really interesting life after her grandmother died, and there are some sexual ambiguity theme that are quite refreshing to read too! It was the first Yoshimoto's work that I ever discovered, and I can't wait to get my hands on more of her quirky writings.
4. Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro): one of my favorite books of all time. I watched the movie after I read the book and didn't know that Andrew Garfield played Tommy in the movie! Makes it twice better than it originally was. It's like a grown up version of boarding school story. Anyway, both the book and the movie got A+ in my book.
5. Dance Dance Dance (Haruki Murakami): this is the last book I read in 2014. I got it few days after Christmas and I finished it in 2 days straight! I once declared that Kafka on The Shore was my all time favorite Murakami's books, but after reading this one, I must change that to this. I love every single chapters of it, and it is probably one of the easiest read of this author. I love all his books, by the way, even though I had probably only read half of them. The nonchalant teenage girl in this book was my favorite character, and there are characters which left me grieving for their death. Anyway, go read, even if you never had any dose of Haruki Murakami before, you'll love it.


6. Book of Ghost Stories (Roald Dahl): one day I was going to a secondhand bookstore downtown, and I spotted a very worn out book with yellowed pages and title that drawn me in. I took it home for only $1, and started reading it right after. I must say I didn't find this book stupidly horrifying and whatnot, but some stories have really great morals and impression for me. Don't be intimidated by the title, it's not really about ghosts after all.
7. After Dark (Haruki Murakami): this is one of the fastest books I ever finish in my entire life. I finished this in a day (though not in one sitting, I took like 10 breaks whilst on it!) and after I read it, I suddenly missed my sister. I like this book a lot and I'd reread it. The plot's not very heavy whatsoever so if you only have little time to read, you might want to get lost in this one. As usual, the main character has this very unusual traits on her. Very enjoyable to read.
8. Eleanor & Park (Rainbow Rowell): speaking of light read, I did read this even faster than After Dark. I almost didn't take any breaks while reading it because of how simple and predictable the plot is. Still, I'd recommend this book to any young adults out there who are still in high school or early year in college because this is sickeningly cute. Although it's not the best book in my book (pun! not! intended!), it's still one of my favorite cheesy story.
9. The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaiman): I never read this book until the end, but I finally did before Spring break last year! Weird time of the year to read something spooky, but I still get the vibe anyway. To me this is such an interesting twist of fairy tale, in fact, Gaiman is my favorite fairy tale writer. His dark style and whimsical measure are always on point. My favorite book of his after Coraline!
10. The Tipping Point (Malcolm Gladwell): I got it from my mom for Christmas 2013, but I just got around reading it in 2014. Anyway, this is such a positive book filled with a lot of optimism and inspiration. This is the best gift for someone who's struggling coping with their life.

So these are my top 10 most favorable books of 2014! I know some are old releases, some are just boring as hell to you, but at least this is my opinion! I know I'm not very updated with the best sellers or popular reads, but I try to reach more for those this year. Feel free to check these books and let me know if you like them too or not.

My 2015 'book' resolution would be drifting slightly away from Haruki Murakami (or any Japanese writers) and read more from western authors and fantasy books. Hopefully to be more open minded when I pick a new book.

2 comments:

  1. so much in common! kafka was originally my favourite book until i read dance dance dance and nlmg is one of my ultimate favourites that i will reread from time to time. definitely checking out your other book recommendations xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah i'm so excited that we have similar taste! you will love most of the titles that i recommend here then ^_^

      Delete